The theme for this project was interior spaces. I had a really hard time coming up with ideas for this project. I didn't want it to be something that had been done before, I wanted it to be different. I came up with the idea to do the inside of my backpack one afternoon while I was working on homework. I quickly put everything back inside my backpack and took a few pictures, the first few weren't that good everything was straight and boring... there was nothing interesting about it at all. Then I got the idea to angle some of my notebooks so you could see more things and it added the different lines that I needed. For this project we had the option to choose what ever medium we wanted. I choose oil paints again because I liked the way the oils blend and I liked the way my last project turned out. Like last time I started out with a wash, a blue one this time, and then sketched out the design onto the canvas. I really didn't have an organized way of painting this one, I kind of just choose a color and painted all the spots that were that color. I started off with the light blue on the binder and then I painted the white part on the binder. After that I started on the black but only the parts on the inside of the backpack. Next I painted the different yellow shades on notebook, notepad, and folder. Then I went back and added the blue and red on the other notebook. After I painted all the covers of each notebook I went back and painted the white pages on each. The last thing I did, and the hardest, was paint the backpack itself. My backpack is plaid so it was really had for me to figure out how to paint the design. By the time I got to the end I was really frustrated that it wasn't looking like I wanted it to, but I guess it turned out okay in the end.
Tuesday, October 21, 2014
The topic for this project was "Everyday Object" and we got the chance to choose whatever subject we wanted as long as it related back to the main theme. I thought a lot about what subject I was going to use. My first though was to do a few stuffed animals in my room from when I was little, but I couldn't find a composition I really liked. I ended up just walking around my room playing around with different objects I could possibly use, that's when I came up with the idea to use a bunch of my CDs that were on my shelf. I pretty much just sat on my floor randomly arranging them in different ways until I came up with a few different compositions that I liked. For this project we had to use oil paint. Personally I'm not a huge fan of painting but I really liked the way the oils blend on the canvas. After I painted a light pink wash on my canvas I drew out my design so I had an idea of where everything would go. Then I started painting, I started off with the Ed Sheeran CD, the green one with the black X, because it was the largest and I figured it would take the most time. I was right it did take the most time because it had the most value in it. Next I went on to the 5 Seconds of Summer CD, the white one with the black squiggle thing on it. It really wasn't that hard but it took a while because you had to constantly go over the white paint so you wouldn't see the pink wash behind it. After that I went on to the Little Mix CD, the blue one with the yellow cloud. For this CD I had to figure out a way to make the yellow paint look cloud like, I tried a bunch of different techniques but the way that worked the best was to dab the yellow paint over the blue and then go back and add more paint where it was needed. The last CD is the One Direction CD, this one was difficult because I has to figure out a way to make the oil paint look like the spray paint texture that is used on the real CD. I don't think it worked that well because oil paint and spray paint are so different but all I did was paint a layer of white and the slowly add black, the amount depended on how much value was in that part of the picture. The last thing I did was paint the red background, at first I was just going to leave the pink wash but I really didn't like the pink with all the other colors in the painting. Since green was the most dominate color, I choose red for the background because red is green's compliment.