Monday, March 17, 2014

Snapshot #1: Time


Artists Collaborate: At the beginning of this project I didn't really have any idea of how to incorporate time into a piece. So Marissa and I spent some time brainstorming a bunch of ideas. She came up with the idea of using Peter Pan and doing something related to that. My original idea was to draw Peter, Wendy, John, and Michael fling off to Neverland as kids, like in the Disney classic. Then I was going to draw the same picture again but Wendy, John, and Michael would be grown up, about mid-twenties. As I was working on the sketches of each character Mr. Sands and I started talking about my idea and what other things I could do. Mr. Sands suggested that instead of the kids being mid-twenties in the second picture maybe make them older like in their sixties, but as we continued talking Mr. Sands said what if they were flying over on of the kids' funerals. I wasn't a huge fan of the idea at first but when Marissa chimed in and suggested that it just be Peter flying over all three graves I couldn't resists how perfect the idea was even it is extremely depressing.    


Artists Solve Problems: At first I didn't really have any idea of what I could do. All I could think of was ideas that were over done like the different seasons and a sunset. After brainstorming with Marissa I finally came up with the idea of drawing Peter Pan, Wendy, John, and Michael flying off to Neverland once as kids and again in their twenties all grown up. About halfway through my first sketches, Mr. Sands and Marissa gave me another idea that completely change my original concept. I had to pretty much change everything that I was working on to fit the new idea of Peter Pan flying over Wendy, John, and Michael's graves. With the new idea I was able to start the final painting without having to draw more practice sketches. 
Artists Create Original Art: I know that Peter Pan isn't my own idea but I worked really hard to make sure my recreation looked as much like him as I could do. I think I spent about two days or so recreating each character so they looked a lot like the characters from the Disney classic. Peter Pan is probably my favorite Disney movie so it was important for me to make sure they looked recognizable. I liked the idea of bringing something that I loved so much as a kid and making it apart of something that I love doing now.   


No comments:

Post a Comment